Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Art of the Mandala


The art of the mandala

I’ve been fascinated by mandalas recently. A mandala is simply art within a circle form, which may have a square or other 4-fold structure superimposed. In Sanskrit, the word mandala translates to “sacred circle”.  Along with sacred rituals and chants, art in the form of the mandala has been used for centuries in many different cultures as a form of healing and visual meditation.

The psychologist Carl Jung used the spontaneous drawing of mandalas with his patients.  To quote Jung:

“Most mandalas have an intuitive, irrational character and, through their symbolical content, exert a retroactive influence on the unconscious. They therefore possess a 'magical' significance, like icons, whose possible efficacy was never consciously felt by the patient.” 

Many therapists believe there are meanings connected with symbols illustrated in mandalas. You can sometimes determine the meanings in your symbols by taking notes with each mandala. Note the kind of day you had and any feelings and thoughts you are having. Over time, you may notice similarities and patterns. Through art, we can express feelings which cannot be expressed in words. This is a good thing for those of us who tend to keep things bottled up inside! There have been studies showing that drawing within a circle has a calming physiological effect. I have certainly found this to be true not only while working in a circular format. I often find myself going into a meditative state while working on a piece of art.  Sometimes one gets so absorbed in the textures, shapes and colors, that all other thoughts temporarily fade away, and what comes through your art implement comes out from deep within.

I keep a sketchbook on my night table just for mandalas. I like to draw before going to sleep. I find it relaxing and a good way to get the days thoughts out of my head.  It’s sort of like journaling, but you are using images rather than words. For added effect, you can play some relaxing music, nature sounds, or use aromatherapy oils or incense of your liking. While working on your mandala, it is important to remember that this is a therapeutic exercise and you are not trying to make an aesthetically pleasing piece of art, which I find difficult being an artist who makes a living out of creating aesthetically pleasing art!

To make a mandala, begin by sketching a circle. You may use a compass or a plate or draw a freehand circle.  Use any medium you like…paints, colored pencils, markers, pastels, etc.  You may want to try drawing on dark paper too. Quiet yourself and begin filling the circle with whatever intuitively comes to you, there are no rules.  Or, create a nature mandala with objects found outdoors…rocks, berries, seeds, leaves, flowers, etc. I am looking forward to Spring when I can create a wildflower mandala! Pictured below is my winter mandala using pinecones, juniper berries, rhododendron buds, some seed pods, pine branches, and leaves.



2 comments:

  1. Hi! Yadi Here. Just wanting to let you know that Im so glad I somehow stumbled upon your blog. I used to make ojos de Dios (eyes of God) when I was teaching Spanish at a high school. My students loved making these mini mandalas. I always directed them to this site. This man makes the most beautiful mandalas. Hope you enjoy

    http://www.ojos-de-dios.com/

    -Yadira Esparza
    Terra'sCrafts

    ReplyDelete